Monday, March 3, 2008

Belle of the Month:: March 2008

Tiffany Braxton Belvin

Meet Tiffany Braxton Belvin, one of Belle-Noir Magazine's Signature Belle Models. Tiffany is currently preparing to take part in the 1st Annual Miss NYC Plus Pageant, taking place on March 15, 2008 at the Julia Miles Theater.

Hometown:

New York, New York

Age:
32

When did you first know that you wanted to be a model?
From very young I knew I wanted to be a model. You couldn't tear me away from a beauty pageant when it came on television. My mom looked into entering me in pageants, but it was too expensive. When I was about seven or eight I went to an open call audition for child models at Macy's. There were hundreds of people there and we stood in line for hours. I wasn't one of the child stars they were looking for, but even at that young age I understood what it meant to market yourself and have what people wanted in the industry.

Have you been in any fashion shows or been featured in any print layouts?
I did my first fashion show at York college when I was 21-years-old. I remember one of the designers said I had the best walk on the runway for a full-figured woman. I was a size 16 then. She asked me if I considered doing other projects for her, but I declined. As a Biology major, I didn't really have time for extra-curricular activities and I didn't see modeling as an option. Recently, after some advice from Gwedolyn Devoe of Devoe Signatures Events Inc. and Chamein Canton, author of Down That Aisle in Style, I decided to start modeling professionally. I have done a number of projects including shows with the John Perry Model Club of Jamaica, New York, Michelle's Of New York Plus Size Boutique, and Nigerian Fashions and Fabrics.

How would you define your personal style?
My style is constantly changing. When you live in a cultural salad bowl like New York City you tend to adopt styles. I appreciate the styles from the thousands of different ethnicities you'll find here. So don't be surprised if you see me in a sari, some chaps, or jingle dresses (Native American dance outfit).

What other projects are you currently involved with besides Belle-Noir.com?
Currently I am working with a company called Peach Couture, and another company that is developing a new line of jeans. My goal is to make my full-figured stamp on New York when I enter the Miss N.Y.C. Plus Pageant this year.

What is one quote/saying that serves as inspriation for you?
"Opportunity knocks once, but temptation will lean on the doorbell."

Where do you envision yourself in 5 years? 10 years?
I don't. I take one day at a time and thank God for giving me all that I have accomplished with each sunrise and sunset.


For More Information & to view Tiffany's portfolio, please visit:
www.musecube.com/mrsbigdog
www.myspace.com/braxtonbelvin

No comments: