Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Frugal Files: Free Avenues for Sales Part II

Hey people!!

I hope you're ready for more selling advice because The Frugalicious Diva is back to give it to you!! Did you use any of last week’s suggestions and make some extra bucks? We ran out to time last week, but I'm happy to be back to share my best selling secret with you!!

Similar to the Yahoo Groups avenue I told you about last week, I use one last way of selling online. This is my sales tool of choice: Craig’s List. It is just like YG, but has worldwide exposure without subscribing. You can even post to multiple cities and ship your items. It’s fast, easy to use and I’ve made the most money using this method.

First, read the CL rules. Then start posting your legal items for sale. Take pictures, as you can post up to four per advertisement. When you sign up for a FREE seller’s account, CL will keep track of all your posts and you can edit or delete them any time. Describe your item accurately and concisely. People want details but do not want to read a book about your item. List the name, sizes, colors and price. Once you post, sit back and wait for emails.

Same rules apply; be prompt and courteous. You might find potential buyers are not as polite, but be professional anyway. You will get spam, “interested” people who don’t follow up and others who will begin bargaining, asking for prices way less than you posted. It’s up to you how you deal with them, but make sure you are get what you want.

Next, be safe. If you call to make arrangements, block your number, by using *67 before dialing. If they don’t answer, leave a message and tell them you will try them again at a specified time. You can also opt to use a public phone. Also, when you meet up with the buyer, do so during the day at a public place and take someone with you. Use the same advice if you decide to buy from a Craigslister too. I have been to many parking lots for a successful and discrete exchange. I let them examine the object I’m selling then payment is made. You are done and everyone is satisfied. They have their item and you have your cash!!

My last courtesy is thanking them for the sale once I’m back to my computer. This act of gratitude goes a long way. It makes people smile and it opens the door for them to be a repeat buyer. I have had a few people purchase the same type of items from me repeatedly. It’s all about customer service; it still matters and it counts.

One more thing. I thought I might give some honorable mentions. They are not all free ways of selling, but have very nominal fees. So here's the list, thanks to both my experience and some friends of mine who shared their experiences.

If you have clothes or accessories, then go consignment. Beware though, no matter what the commercials say, don't be fooled into thinking they pay top dollar; but it’s something. They usually take a percentage, and usually in their favor. But for those that don't watch them count out money to you. Check out Plato's Closet for all things Teen, Once Upon A Child for kids’ items and for those with high end women's fashions, sell at Clothes Mentor. If you have sellable things, they will pay you.

Have CD or DVDs you no longer love, check out Second Spin or http://www.half.com. The latter allows for you to sell all media including movies and books.

Lastly, one of my very FRUGALICIOUS friends mentioned she loves to sell her unused stuff on Amazon. She researches the values and posts. She told me she easily receives payment with the click of a button and has never experienced any issues. The best part is that they only take a small fee ONLY if the item sells, so you can adjust your asking price accordingly.

Now, you should be convinced, that even in this economy, there is money to be made!! You can do it easily from the comfort of your own home and computer. You pick, you click, you post, they buy!! All the best to you and Happy Selling!!

Frugalicious Diva

No comments: