Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Frugal Files: Helpful Thrifting Tips

Greeting Frugalicious ones!!

Let me just jump in today. I’m so excited to share with the world that I am doing some redecorating. Yes, it’s still Christmas time, but you have coupons, spending and saving tips to get you through the rest of the season. In fact, I hope you’re already done with your shopping…if you even chose to do so this Christmas!! *wink*

Back to my excitement!! I’m making some subtle and some not-so-subtle changes to my living room and dining room areas. In addition, we’re adding some finishing touches and changing it up a bit in the bedroom. Lastly, I am FINALLY getting around to decorating my enclosed back porch area. It is a great space and I bought minimal furniture for it as I was moving two years ago.

Unfortunately, no other attention has been given to this space; probably the reason why I haven’t spent any quality time there. It is the perfect place to sit and relax, read a book, write poetry or affirmations and look at the stars. It’s time to transform this particular spot; spruce it up and add some life, so I can do some living there.

Overall, in my search, I’ve gotten some great stuff, but I’m far from finished. I purchased throw pillows, a bookshelf, frames for artwork, vases and other colorful home décor. The best part about this shopping is that I’m thrifting!! Simply put, I’ve become kind of obsessed with this beautification project, so obviously I’m spending money, however, I’m spending less than you think. I’m hitting up all thrift and second hand shops in my area and getting huge deals!!

A little money, a bit of time and a lot of imagination goes a long way. I have miscellaneous décor items and just didn’t seem to fit anywhere; I know I’m not alone in this. Thrifting helps your imagination to get in gear. What a difference a $0.99 vase or candle will do for a room; a $7.00 set of throw pillows will do for a bare loveseat; a $5.00 large multicolored artificial plant to spruce up a corner. Now I have places to put my favorite silk calla lilies, some artwork I brought back from Jamaica and my colorful chopsticks from China. They are a creative and fun way to jazz up a bookshelf.

That wasn’t the only thing I learned in this process. There are some things you can do to save more, even when you’re already paying less. For instance, do grab a mailer upon entering any store, especially if it’s not a thrifty one. Oftentimes they have coupons you can use on that trip. While in line hoping to pay less for this item, I casually asked about coupons and she told me about the mailer. The cashier promptly cut it out for me and I got 40% off my purchase.

Also, while in line at Savers, I asked the same question and found out this tidbit. When shopping at discount stores, check on their coupon and discount policies and promotions. Currently Savers, if you have one in your area, gives you coupons, along with your tax-deductible slips. For every donation, you get a $3 off coupon for a $10 purchase. So bring in an old item when you go to get new or used ones. You donate AND you save.

Now, that’s what I call shopping (and redecorating) for less!! All you have to do is ask!!

Frugalicious Diva

No comments: