Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The Frugal Files: DIY Challenge: Frugal Beauty


Good day to you frugalicious ones out there!! Welcome back to The Frugal Files!!

In May we are going to expand our minds, all while expanding our purses. The goal here is to save as much as possible by cutting out the middleman. In fact, we’re cutting out everyone else we would have to pay, because we are going to be using our own resources to get results in our own lives.

All month long will be a challenge to us to keep our money and use our talents. So, welcome to May, our Do It Yourself Challenge Month!! All month I’ll be taking notes on various subjects and blogging about ways for us to save by doing it ourselves in beauty, education, gardening, home and anything else I can find to share. If I want to do it, I know there are many others who do too!! So, let’s just see what we can get into!!

Let’s talk beauty first!! We’re always Belles of the ball, so it’s probably safe to say that we like to feel attractive and confident in what we wear and that includes what we put on our bodies. The beauty DIY is my favorite because I already make some of my own products right at home. It’s fun to do and frugalicious because it’s what we already have at home. If you’re a Naturalista like me, then you will certainly love some these recipes!!

Seven years ago I got my wisdom teeth pulled. It was a 20-minute outpatient procedure. I went to sleep and when I woke, I was done, but the pain lingered on. My doctor prescribed a strong drug and after taking one, I realized just how powerful. So I cut the pills in half. Even that had me slurring words and I just didn’t like the way it made me feel. I stopped taking them completely and vowed to not take drugs ever again.

Whenever I tell that story, people always ask me, “What do you do for headaches?” I’m glad you asked. That same year, I was involved in a Christmas present exchange and my Secret Pal was from Australia. She sent me this beautiful, wonderfully smelling lavender aromatherapy pillow. It was the best gift ever because it is now what my household uses for headaches. Lavender has soothing, healing properties, great for headaches. Just rub in on your head and let the scent take you to another place. It always works.

Grab a satin pillow and make your own aromatherapy pillow. If not, get a pillowcase, potholder or even an old sock. Fill it with rice or beans may even work. Tie or sew the ends to keep in your stuffing then add a few drops of your favorite essential oil to your pillow. Lavender is best for us; when our pillow loses some of its scent, we just add a few drops.

Another natural beauty’s friend is oil. Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, Jojoba Oil. Pick one and start using it along with Shea Butter. My hair has been natural for 13 years, but I used to be a serious product junkie. This is an issue many face today. You went natural and thought it would save you money, but you spend so much on products to eliminate frizz, define curls and moisturize that it became more expensive than when you wore it processed. Well no more!! Frugalicious Diva says, Shea Butter is all you need (along with the other oils mentioned).

Now, you will have to make the initial investment, but the products last a long time, saving you money in the long run. You want moisturized, well-defined, shiny hair with lots of body, then take a look at my favorite Youtuber’s recipe for her Homemade Creamy & Fluffy Shea Butter. 

It’s great for your hair and the best thing about Shea butter is that it’s also good for your body. So, you guessed it…no more pricey lotions and body butters for me. I’m a Shea Butter Belle!!

Looks like we’re out of time, but be sure to tune in next week and when we discuss Frugal Beauty Tips!! Enjoy your week!!

Frugalicious Diva
Follow me on Twitter at @FrugaliciousDva

No comments: