Thursday, November 10, 2011

Believing in You, Part 2

"It’s not who you are that holds you back, it’s who you think you’re not.” ~ Author Unknown

Two weeks ago, I talked about believing in your beauty, which affects what energy you project out to the world and how others see your beauty. Confidence is everything. Now I want to talk about believing in yourself. Believing in yourself means believing in your greatness and your value to the world. Believing in your beauty is important but believing in yourself is imperative to living a great, happy and productive life.


Today marks 7 months since my dad passed away. It is also what would have been his 62nd birthday. The one thing about my dad that always amazed me was how he always believed in me and what I could do in this life. He believed in me when I didn't believe in myself. Sure, he's my dad and I am his only daughter so of course, he's going to think the world of his baby girl. But it went farther than that. His belief in my greatness wasn't just because I was his daughter. He truly believed I was destined for greatness. I was extremely lucky to have a father like him. He taught me so much that shaped me into the person I am today. I am not perfect but I am happy with who I am. I know my greatness and I believe in myself.

I think that the secret to life is that simple. You just have to believe. You have to believe in you; believe what you can do in this life. If you believe it, it can happen. Think of all the possibilities out there. If you can dream it, you can believe in it. Now I know you must be saying, “Well, that’s easier said than done.” That is true. However, would you rather let your setbacks and disappointments make your life one that never goes anywhere? Or would you rather be in the driving seat of your life and make it great? We only have 1 life to live and the choice is yours.

We all have setbacks and disappointments in our lives that have made us feel like it is never going to get better. But the key to getting through that and believing that something better is on the horizon is to recognize those setbacks and disappointments for what are: They are moments in time that test our strength and teach us a lesson. They are moments in time that are preparing us for the bigger picture.

Belief gives you determination. It gives you that strength to push through and keep going. When you believe in what you can do in this life and your value to the world, your view of life completely changes. It’s as if you then understand that everything happens for a reason; that the choices you make will have an outcome. Not all outcomes will be the ones that you want but it just means that, that outcome was not meant to be and there is a better one out there waiting. When one door closes, I believe a better, bigger door opens.

To truly be able to believe in yourself, you cannot listen to what others are saying. The only opinion that is important is yours and not others. You should never give others the power over your self-belief. Some people may have failed at a challenge that you are attempting and they may feel some kind of way. That’s their issue, not yours. There will always be naysayers. What counts is how you deal with those naysayers. Again, it’s your choice.

I know it’s scary to tackle a great challenge or put yourself out there but honestly, it is better to try than not try at all. If you fail, you learn the lesson and move on. But there is a chance you may succeed and you won’t know if you’re going to succeed unless you try. When you accept that failing is a way to learn the lesson, it’s like viewing a failure as actually winning. If you learn from your mistakes, the next time you try, your chances of being successful are even greater because you have learned from your mistakes.

Life is all about challenging yourself. When you believe in yourself, you feel fearless and feel that you can do anything you set your mind to. Believing in yourself means not being afraid to go out and attempt what you have been told is impossible.

A few years ago, I went to Hong Kong, China with my best friend Herman. I love Asian culture and have a fascination with Buddha. On Lantau Island at the Po Lin Monastery sits the largest seated bronze Buddha statue in the world. And it is said that it’s good luck to touch Buddha. However, you have to climb like 20 flights of stairs to get to Buddha.

We get there and it’s like 105 degrees, sun blaring. Herman takes one look at the stairs and then looks at me and says, “There is no way you’re going up there. It's too much.” Here I am, overweight and not in the best shape so of course, he’s thinking there is no way she is climbing 20 flights of stairs in the blazing heat and he is concerned, ready to throw in the towel. I just replied, “You’re wrong. I’m doing it.” If someone tells me I can’t do something, that just gets me fired up to do it even more. And I did it. It was extremely hot and exhausting. But I was determined to touch Buddha and I believed that I could do it. That belief is what got me up those stairs.

In life, there will always be that 20-stair moment. You can’t let the height of the challenge intimidate you or make you feel like you can’t do it. Believe in yourself and you can do it. When I would tell my dad that I felt I couldn’t do something, he’d look at me like I was crazy and say “Marce, stop it. You know you can do it. It’s a given.” Thank you, Daddy for believing in me even when I didn’t believe in myself.

So dear readers, look in the mirror and speak the following affirmation out into the universe:

“I believe in myself and can do anything I set my mind to because I am valuable to this world.”

And then get out there and start making your dreams a reality! You can do it! Just believe!


No comments: