Thursday, December 22, 2011

‘Tis The Season to Channel Your Inner Superstar

The holidays are usually a time when many people get depressed and sad. We miss our loved ones that are no longer with us or dwell on what we don't have, like a relationship, kids, money, etc. I am no exception. I have been depressed, missing my dad. I have been frustrated with my life. Yes, even me, Ms Positivity, has her moments. I'm human. However, while I have my moments, I do know that I ultimately make the choice on how I let my emotions rule my life. Am I going to let them get me down? Or am I going to learn the lesson, let it go and move on? We all have that power, that choice. Even if you're down and continue to stay that way, you are making that choice to stay in that funk. Making that choice to not be depressed/sad sounds like such a simple concept but yet so hard to fully act out...

The one thing that I have been doing, which has been great for my spirit and helps me with making the right choices in my life is having a daily affirmation. An affirmation is a simple statement that you create or get from another source (like a book, website, etc), which relates to the goal you want to achieve either for that day or long-term. It can be 1 sentence or 4. There is no strict format for an affirmation. It is simply a positive statement that is tailored to fit you and what you need to speak on to the world to heal your own soul and help you get your focus back on track.

When you say an affirmation, you are speaking out positive things to the universe. You are making the decision to speak positivity into your life. You are controlling what kind of energy you keep within yourself and bring into other's lives. Affirmations help you make the choice to look at life differently. You become focused on your greatness instead of your limitations. You are focusing on the positive, which will help you feel better, more motivated and eventually helps you to change your outlook on life and manifest positive life changes.

And to think, it's as easy as saying a sentence or two out loud daily, as soon as you wake up in the morning. You can lay in bed and say your affirmation. You can look in the bathroom mirror and say it. You can even look out the window and say it. Just say your affirmation a few times and let it resonate within you. Think about what you're saying. Feel what you're saying and let yourself truly internalize the words.

I was introduced to affirmations and the power behind them by my friend Latisha, also known as The Frugalicious Diva, who writes her weekly Frugal Files for this blog. Latisha posted the best affirmation on my Facebook wall this morning because she knew I was having a rough day yesterday. As it gets closer to Christmas, I am thinking of my dad even more and dwelling on the things I have lost in my life. So when I saw the affirmation that Latisha gifted me with, it really meant a lot to me because it was what I needed at the right time. The affirmation was the following:

I choose to be happy at the start of each day.

Such a powerful statement in a short sentence. Honestly, that is what an affirmation is. I said it a few times as I looked out my window. The more I said it, the more I felt it to the point where I made the decision, yes I am going to be happy at the start of each day. According to Wikipedia, an affirmation is a declaration that something is true. And by us speaking these affirmations out to the world, we are declaring that they are true. How empowering is that?

You'll be amazed at how easier it becomes to achieve your goals and succeed. Your inner superstar is there within you. You just need to work a little to get her out. Affirmations can make the world of difference with helping you inspire yourself and build your self-esteem.

My Christmas gift to all of you superstars this year is an affirmation that we should all say a few times throughout the year to remind us that we have to love ourselves first and foremost:

I am happy with who I am, just as I am.

I will not waste the person I am because I love me, flaws and all.

As I have said before, there's only one you in this world. So you have to take care of yourself and love yourself as much as you can. So this holiday season, channel your inner superstar by saying your own daily affirmations. You're giving the best gift you can to yourself by doing this. Declare your happiness - make it a true thing. Take control of your life. Make that choice to live your life as great as you can. It’s your choice – what do you choose?

No comments: