Friday, April 4, 2008

Belle of the Month: April 2008

Lakia Tribie

Meet Lakia Tribie, one of Belle-Noir Magazine's Signature models and a model for Plus Size in the City, a plus size entertainment and modeling company based in New York City.

Name
Lakia Tribie pronounced Tri-Be-AY

Hometown
Brooklyn, NY

Age
29-ish! LOL!

When did you first know that you wanted to be a model?
Ever since I was a little girl I have wanted to model, being inspired mainly by Miss America and Miss USA Pageants. In my teens I began hearing about plus-size modeling and thought I would love to do that. However, it wasn't until this April after auditioning for Monique's F.A.T. chance that I decided to pursue my goal. Although I was not chosen to compete for F.A.T Chance it did spark a flame that has turned into a burning passion to be a model .

Have you been in any fashion shows or been featured in any print layouts?
Modeling for Belle-Noir.com was my first time a ever. I am as green as Kermit the Frog when it come to modeling. Since winning Belle-Noir.com's Model Search Contest, I have been asked to represent Plus Size In The City as a model and will also will be featured in Blur Dezigns winter catalog. Blur Dezigns is a fashion line co-founded by Monique's F.A.T. Chance season two contestant and plus-size model Ms. Tiffany Jones and Ms Jay also a plus-size model more info can be found @ http://www.blurdezigns.com/. I am so grateful to God for all of these opportunities taking none of them for granted I am looking forward to a fantastic future!

How would you define your personal style?
I am a combination of sexy and flirtatious, trendy and edgy. I tend to push the boundaries of where they say " Big Girls" should go. Give me a pair of high-heels, big hair and hot make-up and I will have all eyes on me (tee-hee-hee). I love showing off my curves no matter how big they are. My level of confidence has become infectious and there is not a day that goes by that I am not approached for some sort of advice or just to be told " You go girl". I love to inspire other curvy girls to be comfortable in the skin, dress or tight jeans their in!


What other projects are you currently involved with besides Belle-Noir.com?
I have other projects lined up with P.S.I. T.C in the near and will keep Belle-Noir posted. I am confident that my affiliation with Belle-Noir.com, Plus Size In The City and Blur Dezigns will lead to many more opportunities.

What is one quote/saying that serves as inspiration for you?
"Surely Goodness and Mercy shall follow me all the days of my life". (Psalm 23:6) It has helped me to trust in the goodness of God and know that no matter what the situation is he is always there. My spirituality and deep faith has helped me to remain focus on my goals and dreams with confident expectation and optimism.

Where do you envision yourself in 5 years? 10 years?
5 years: I will be fully established as a plus-size model and will be represented by a major modeling firm. I will be on the move breaking down industry limitations of what is beautiful and acceptable. There is a new wave of acceptance as a whole that is about to burst forth for the large community and I believe it will give way to more more opportunities for plus-sized models, actors and artistic professionals to express their unique gift and talents.

10 years: I will have my own fashion and cosmetic line! Make-up is my second passion and I do dabble in make-up artistry and want to have my own line of cosmetics. I also want to design clothing for curvy women with a special emphasis on the pear-shaped diva. I have always found it hard to find jeans or slacks that properly fit my juicy thighs and ample bottom, I will design dresses, suits and pants that will give more room in the bottom and a little less on top to accommodate our unique shape. My line will be sexy, risque and bold just like me!

Lastly I envision myself hosting my own T.V. show and being a motivational speaker encouraging women of all shapes and sizes to live life to the full, love themselves just the way they are and to become everything they want to be knowing it's OK and all apart of God's great plan.


For more information and to view Lakia's portfolio, please visit: www.myspace.com/prettymomma11208 .

No comments: