Sunday, October 23, 2011

Weekly Motivation 10.23.11: A Lesson On Responsibility

Have you been watching Oprah's Life Class on OWN (The Oprah Winfrey Network)? If you have not been, and you have been feeling (like I have for awhile) that you are trying to "figure it all out", then you really should consider tuning in.

While I always learn from watching Oprah Winfrey and her all around fabulosity, Lesson 9 this week slapped me square in the face at a time I needed it most. For the past few weeks, I had been letting the thoughts and actions of everyone around me sour my mood. I was allowing other people's negative energy to creep right into my own soul and marinate. Many tears flowed, many stress headaches ensued, and I was wallowing in a very unhealthy dose of "why me?"

It was watching Lesson 9, entitled "You're Responsible For Your Life" that gave me the reminder that I needed. Especially in hearing the story of Dr. Jill Bolte Taylor and the evolution of her now famous quote, "Please be responsible for the energy you bring into this space." It was a reminder that regardless of the energy that others put off, I, and I alone, am the only person responsible for what I put out into the world. I am always telling the members of the Community Center I work for, "What you put out into the world is what you will get back into the world." As is (unfortunately) often the case with me, however, I was not practicing what I preached.

Between the quote and this clip from another one of my favorite business women, Ms. Paula Deen ("hey y'all!") I was brought to my own personal "aha moment". In the clip, Oprah asks Paula how she went from being a caterer who started with only $200 to having a $20 million dollar enterprise. Paula's answer: "So much of it has to do with God's generosity. I made a commitment to work and [God] blessed it."

Belle-Noir.com blogger and Belle-Noir Magazine writer, the Frugalicious Diva, has made me a believer in affirmations. So, I wanted to share with you the affirmation that I drew from Oprah's Life Class this week as this week's Weekly Motivation. I hope you will try it out and let me know if it is working for you, as it already has been for me.

My affirmation and motivation for this week:
"I accept responsibility for what happens to me and for me."

No comments: